Continuing in my series of Taste of Home recipes modified to create healthier versions for those who need to watch starchy carbs but love a good sandwich.
- 1 container (15 ounces each) ricotta cheese
- 2 cups (1 pound) shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/2 cup finely chopped green pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1 batch Ezekiel Style Bread Dough
- 1 jars (16 ounces each) marinara sauce
- In a large bowl, combine cheeses, oregano, basil, onion, green pepper and garlic. In a heated skillet, coated with nonstick spray, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain and stir into cheese mixture.
- Divide dough into eight portions; roll each into a 6-in. circle. Spoon filling evenly on half of each circle; fold dough over filling and seal edges. Place on greased baking sheets.
- Bake at 350° for 25 minutes or until golden brown. Serve with marinara sauce for dipping.
Original recipe published as Cheese ‘n’ Sausage Calzones in Taste of Home October/November 1995