I Call it “Super Spaghetti Sauce”
I’ve been making this sauce for years and it never disappoints. This sauce is basically a loaded pizza without the crust & fat. It is spicy, hearty and eats like a meal straight out of the pot. If you’re a traditionalist, you’ll use it for spaghetti & lasagna and that’s it. If you like crock pot cooking that carries over into several meals, you’ll love this! Here are some of the ways I use it:
To Make The Sauce
Add the following to a 6-quart Crock Pot set on HIGH:
- 1lb ground beef, browned, drained
- 1lb hot Italian sausage, browned, drained
- 1pkg (5oz) sliced pepperoni
- 12oz can mushroom pieces & stems, drained
- 1 Onion, diced
- 3 Bell Peppers, (green, red, yellow), diced or sliced into strips
- 3 28oz cans Crushed Tomatoes
Season to taste
*I use crushed red pepper, minced garlic, Mrs. Dash, Italian Seasoning, parsley flakes
You can eat it as soon as it is hot, but I cook mine for a couple days. The extended cooking allows for all the flavors to show themselves. Cook on HIGH for 6-8 hours, leave on WARM overnight and cook the next day on LOW.
This sauce will keep for months in a freezer. Simply allow it to cool, place in ziploc bags, remove all air & zip, and freeze until you need it.
To Make Lasagna
Simply boil your noodles and layer sauce, noodles & cheeses. I like to make a 5-layer lasagna with the following layers:
- Sauce, Noodles, Shredded Cheddar
- Sauce, Noodles, Ricotta Cheese (mixed with 1 egg for consistency)
- Sauce, Noodles, Cottage Cheese
- Sauce, Noodles, Mozzarella Cheese
- Sauce, Noodles, Parmesan Cheese
Bake in 350 over for 1 -2 hours.