Continuing in my series of Taste of Home recipes modified to create healthier versions for those who are a bit more careful about what they eat.
- 1 boneless pork shoulder roast (6 to 7 pounds)
- 1/3 cup ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 large onion, quartered
- 1 cup beef broth or Mezcal
- 2/3 cup lime juice
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon dried cilantro flakes
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 2 loaves unsliced French style Ezekiel Bread (1 pound each)
- 1/4 cup dill pickle relish
- 1/4 cup Dijon mustard
- 8 slices Swiss cheese
- Add roast and all juices and seasonings to a 6-qt. slow cooker. Cook, covered, on low 8-10 hours or until meat is tender. Remove roast; cool slightly. Skim fat from cooking juices. Shred pork with 2 forks. Return pork to slow cooker; heat through.
- Preheat oven to 325°. Split bread horizontally. Spread relish and mustard on bottom half. Layer with meat and cheese. Replace tops.
- Wrap sandwiches tightly in heavy-duty foil. Place on baking sheets. Bake 20-25 minutes or until heated through. Cut each crosswise into 12 slices.
Original recipe published as Mojo Cubano Sandwich in Taste of Home Everyday Slow Cooker & One Dish Recipes 2016